Recipe and Photography by Peggy Lampman
a submission for the
FestiFools 3 minutes to FestiFame Challenge
“This deliciously, healthy meal would satisfy the most persnickety of foodies. I, however, only spent about 12 bucks cash, 15 minutes time, and satisfied 4 hungry appetites.
This is one variation of my favorite “no recipe recipes”. Before making this, I checked my fridge and cupboard to see what was on hand. My taste buds– and available ingredients– inspire variations on this practically instant meal. I, however, would never alter the DNA of this dish: Superior pasta (Al Dente, of course!); your fruitiest , most luscious extra virgin oil and the best Italian grating cheese your pocket will allow (say “absolutely no” to canister cheese!) Other options gracing past “recipes” have included chopped kalamata olives, chopped red onion, steamed veggies, leftover salmon and fresh chopped basil. Should you have one of Monique’s Sumptuous Sauces- Marvelous Marinara or the Outrageous Olive and Caper- you could easily substitute 1/2 jar for the canned tomatoes. Enjoy! ”
Al Dente Pasta with Spinach and Tuna
Active Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
• 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 2 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
• 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
• 1 can (14oz) diced tomatoes (I prefer Muir Glen Fire Roasted tomatoes)
• 3 tablespoons drained capers
• 1 can (6oz) solid white tuna in water , drained and rinsed
• 6 oz. (1/2 bag) Al Dente Spinach Fettucine
• 8 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves
• Red pepper flakes
• Freshly grated Italian cheese, such as Parmigianino Regianno or Pecorino Romano
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. As water comes to a boil, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add anchovies and garlic and sauté one minute. Add tomatoes with their liquid and cook until liquid has evaporated slightly. Add capers and tuna.
3. When water comes to a boil, cook pasta 3 minutes. Place spinach in colander then drain pasta over spinach. Stir drained pasta and remaining olive oil into sauce and heat through. Season to taste with red pepper flakes and freshly grated cheese.