Butternut Squash Mac + Cheese
Our Golden Egg Bonnetti is perfect for Mac & Cheese! Try Adrienne's (@appetites_anonymous) "unbelievably delicious and creamy" mac n' cheese recipe. *Vegetarians - substitute bacon with butter.
- 12 oz Al Dente Pasta
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 shallot minced
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1 15 ounce can butternut squash puree or soup options: sweet potato or pumpkin puree or soup
- 10 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper optional for heat
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives optional garnish, fresh
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add diced bacon then cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add garlic and shallot to the skillet with the bacon grease then saute 2-3 minutes or until fragrant, stirring frequently. Whisk in flour and dried sage until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Next, gradually whisk in the milk and butternut squash puree then bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and let mixture simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced and thickened, about 4-6 minutes.
- Stir in cooked pasta and cheese until melted. Season with salt and pepper (add more to taste, if needed).
- Top with bacon and chives then enjoy!
Check out Adrienne's scrumptious blog here for more amazing recipes, photos, and ideas.